Monday, July 7, 2008

La Paz Bound

Today marked the end of Science and sampling and the beginning of getting everything packed to mail back, which seems just as hectic as the packing to get on the ship. We've got all our stuff boxed and all our tubes barely fit into our cryo shipper to mail back, so we're coasting until we have to interact with customs tomorrow morning. We took down all our big experiments that were on going yesterday and today so there wasn't enough time for a complete update and it's late now so I'll get some highlight photos out now ASAP before I collapse.

Yesterday was by far the flattest seas I have ever seen and just beautiful.
At first we thought we saw trash bags floating everywhere and then came to realization they were all turtles! Hundreds of them everywhere. This rude bird was among others using the poor guys as a perch. The turtles occasionally dump them in the water which is fun to watch.
As our ship passed them many spazzed out but some were very curious.
Ok so I spent about 30 minutes trying to get some flying fish pics and I got a few decent ones. They are ubiquitous throughout a large expanse of the world's oceans and they're quite fast. Upon reviewing them I thought I'd share my theories here on them. They seem to all have this little protuberance on their underside out back and it seems they use this to steer or for propulsion. I also think possibly use it to confuse predators. They dip this little protuberance into the water and wag it back and forth creating a splash and scattering water over the surface of the ocean as they move. I think this possibly changes refraction angles of light or creates additional disturbances that might possible distract and predator in the water? Anyways here's some pics of them in action off the bow.
The "wag" pattern.
When in groups it is even more profound.
Transit time when everything is packed, is full of down time here's some things that we developed to occupy ourselves. Anna creates a marvelous duck with magnetic beads.
Jeff practices the ancient art of ball punching with a concentrated look that could kill.
This of course in our science-less dimension of time, leads to organized "Mortal Kombatball."
FIGHT!..shortly after my flame is extinguished with a smashing head shot.
Tyler comes to my rescue only to suffer the same fate from the now feared punch ball warrior "Kristanalessa". Tyler has also been inspired to start a blog so check him out at this address.
The victor and current master of boat punch ball arena death matches.
Koombayah, and we're waiting for our final sunset at sea...sniff sniff.
The sun drops between some mountain ranges on land.
And provides fodder for a wild color feast for the eyes.
The final Science party picture.
Left to right Back row: Taylor, Me, Jeff, Kelley, Kristen, Edwardo, Dave, Dan, Tyler, Annie
Middle row: Left to right Randi, Anna, Liz
Front left to right:Kathy, Martin, Anna, LynnThanks for tuning into the next chapter of adventure and science in my life. I'll post a few updates from La Paz should we have access to Internet, otherwise I will post some things when I get stateside next week.

Adios amigo.

No comments: