Saturday, September 27, 2008

How to cook a wallet...

So it’s been busy over the past few weekends and with teaching and school I’ve been swamped. With those excuses I’ll get back to it. Re-cap from the past 2 weeks. Went and volunteered as the wheel truck for a road race in Oak Ridge the weekend of the 6th with Derek.

This Be How I role...



Our View for the next 2 hours of racing...

It was neat watching the races fold from behind and gave me a new perspective on how they work. My volunteer efforts would not go unrewarded however...

Abby and I had planed our anniversary dinner for this night since we were visiting family on the 1st. As it turns out I was supposed to be home around 4 and ended up getting there about 7:15. Needless to say tensions were already high at the Chandler residence. Tycho Derek’s Dog is a tricky little Russian and managed to get into the chicken pen and mutilate but not kill one of the barred rocks.

The Damage

Well this combined with my extremely late arrival in the evening made for a tense period between me getting ready for dinner and getting out the door. As I hopped into the car I asked if the keys were there and was met with a blank yet annoyed stare. I ran back to the house, unlocked it and ran inside to get the keys. Somehow when I was in the kitchen I had to frame of mind to remember we have had several robberies in the past few weeks in the neighborhood. This is where the trouble started I decided I had to get the wallet out of sight from the window, so I threw it in the oven. Now I know what you’re thinking, but it was a dark out of sight place and I thought for sure a burglar would not look there. I mean common how many times does a guy break into a house and say man let’s check the oven for the mother load stash? Anyways so dinner ad the rest of the evening went off without a hitch and everything was fine and dandy.

The next morning I got up fully intending to bake Abby breakfast in bed. I went to the kitchen and turned the oven to preheat at 400 deg. As I walked to the bathroom to take a leak I felt something warm at my feet (and in between my toes). To my horror Boogy had had the worst case of diarrhea I have ever seen mixed with some paste like stool. Retracing the night’s events I seemed to remember hearing some scratching and little bit of whining but I thought surely Boogy just wanted to go outside and look for a cat that had crossed out yard. Not the case. And even though it was an absolute mess I couldn’t help but laugh at the presence of a single paw and poo streak that was left on the back door. It was as if his last act of desperation were in vain. At least he has the decency to go in bathroom where it was easy to clean.

As I was down on my knees doing the Cinderella an unfamiliar odor began to fill my nostrils. That’s when I knew what it was. I ran for the oven opened it and found a cloud of smoke, which quickly enveloped the kitchen and promptly activated the smoke alarm. Thinking only of what was to come I reached for the smoking hot wallet and threw it across the kitchen towards the sink. Of course I missed and the contents went sailing everywhere leaving tracer smokes trails as they evenly coated a kitchen already engulfed in haze. A further check of the area revealed no fire but a burning sensation in my hand let me know that the zipper on her wallet was in fact metal and had been heated to approximately 400 degrees. It toasted my thumb and index finger on my right hand and I knew that our planned ride for later in the day was going to hurt as I shifted.
Serve with white wine and many apologies.

All the commotion between Boogy and the oven awoke Abby who came down and promptly began to laugh at the situation. Me distraught with poop and burns on me must have made for a good wake up call. Anyways I was informed the wallet was old and it was ok since it was a good marshal’s purchase. I was informed if it had been Abby’s Italian leather purse her host mom over there had given her in high school, we would be on much rockier ground now. Thank god for that. The rest of the weekend went off without a hitch and I was glad for that.

The following weekend got a lot of yard work and house work done, mixed in with some school and riding. I was able to finally get my screech owl box up and I’m looking forward to having some tenants in the near future, as Concord has a good population of its own.


The Concord Penthouse complete with backyard flight path and view.

We had screech owls at home when I was in high school and they're super neat. They're vocal and aren't as weary as some other species of humans so sometimes you can throw (scraps) out in the yard and feed them. So hopefully they will like my new placing and move in.

Also been finding some neat end of season spider of unusual size in the garden.

No comments: