Thursday, December 25, 2008

MSG #6

MSG 5 might have been the most fun I’ve had at a cross race in a long time but number 6 was absolutely insane from a spectator standpoint. The hill, which morphed from a run up, to a free for all death climb, evolved over the course of the day with the addition of some especially rowdy fans.
The hill was super steep

By the time the pro ½ race rolled around a large crowd had gathered and had begun to “seed” the hill mud with dollar bills. This only adds to congestion on the hill as racers bend over for bills and struggle to get up at the same time. This hilarity finally reaches its penultimate status when people begin to fall over on their high dollar cross bikes reaching for a dollar bill, or as in my case racers are tricked by the “ole’ dollar bill on a sting routine”. One particularly rowdy group of ETSU kids had a bill on a string and managed to get me to chase it to the side of the crowd where half confused and full of lactic acid I wrestled this unsuspecting fisherman into submission for a little piece of Washington.


On this particular lap the prize for the first person to the top riding was 3 pairs of socks.

My races went very well. I got 4th in the pro 1/2 race , a new PR for a field with star studded depth, and won the single speed race. I was worried going into the single speed race about energy reserves as the crowd had “forced” me to ride the hill multiple time the previous race. The resulting cheer high you got by getting up the hill often seemed to offset the extra energy required for the feat. There’s no question the power of the Santa hat I wore was the root responsibility for all my successes this weekend.

Another view of the steep grade.

The single speed race started badly I sat in about mid pack and watched Todd, my closest competitor, whom I had to finish no less that two people behind to keep my lead in the points, begin to run away with the race. After considerably fighting with chasing riders I was able to break free and bridge up to Todd by the close of the first lap. Going into a muddy corner near the hill of spectators I bobbled a bit but held the muddy corner faster than I had wanted, and then heard a collective gasp from the crowd as Todd bit it in the mud. My first inclination was to peg it and try to put some time on him, but I decided to not do so as he had done for me previously and then once he got back on I did throw down everything I had. I think falling down hard like that definitely breaks your rhythm, as the previous 2 races I experienced a similar fall and then never could get back into things. I was able to hold the lead till the end and finish off a great fall CX single speed season with a W. While it’s nice to win a custom made bad ass trophy sometimes, I find I really have to come to enjoy just the pure fun of single speed cross as my new favorite racing niche.

Abby sporting her Washington prize from the hill.

Abby was able to hold on for a strong fifth and a good start to her racing in women’s CX. We also completed her new commuter/single speed build in the parking lot (with lots of help from my dad while I was racing) for her to be able to compete in the single speed race as well, which she had a blast in.
I snagged a few Washingtons myself, 3 pairs of socks, and a few other hill prizes.

On a sad note this was my last appearance with facial "hair" (I can't grow the "wolfman" Z Johnson). While I couldn't convince the family and wife that "Decembeard" existed, there might be a slight chance for "Bearduary" comeback.

No comments: