Thursday, June 4, 2009

Around the neighborhood



Commuting is slowly picking up and yesterday I made some marginal choices on riding, but ended up ok. Somehow I thought I would be able to dodge the rain and ended up getting about a mile from campus and having to hide under the Alcoa highway bridge in a downpour with hail and lots of lightning. I hate going by the transmission tower on the 3rd creek greenway especially when it’s popping from all the charges trying to build up on it. Needless to say the ride was spirited till I could get clear of a big thunderhead that had developed over my head.

Pretty from a distance


Grocery getting has also recently re-commenced by bicycle on a regular basis for us and we enjoyed a little ride to the store this past weekend for a few necessities.

Now I’ve been an okay fan of Kroger for a while now, but seriously whoever designed the official bike racks to be at the back of the parking lot, not near the store, you’re lame. So we usually lock our rides to the dining porch iron fence in civil disobedience and protest to this matter.

As we locked up this week I saw an amazing “mobile home rig”.This guy had managed to get everything including the kitchen sink onto a well-camouflaged urban/suburban assault vehicle. He also has managed to equip his ride with a state of the art alarm system in the form of a dog, complete with dog bed. I was able to sneak past the alarm system for a few close-ups on the rig and found that clever use of blocks of wood and pipe clamps is all you need to make a sturdy reliable pickup bed on the back of your bike. I unfortunately missed the departure of the hobo bike man, as I wanted to see if the dog got to ride shotgun or got to run beside the guy and his ride like in turner and hooch.

Home furnishings complete with pet and reflectors.

The alarm system seemed to be turned off.

I counted 22 pipe clamps over the entirety of the ride.


After a few photos I found that the alarm system was in fact armed and a little cranky.


Other recent randomness...

There is a new spiral of death under construction in the pedestrian mall area. Looks like a new stage in the new year's garage crit series.

Deforming the Boog at the table for begging.

Sunflowers are coming up.

2 comments:

Dave Holmes said...

I saw that guy downtown. The dog just lies down on that yellow foam on the back like its sleeping.

ZaskarLE said...

It's a farce, and decoy don't approach the bike! He totally barked me.