Thursday, January 7, 2010

Commuter Bliss

Many of my commutes over the years just blur right by. Some however, stand out in memory quite well. Tonight's commute was one of those. The snow was about 1-3 in deep over the entirety of the greenway and many but not all cases I was the first tracks of the night. The sky was filled to the brim with low clouds that reflected ambient light from the cityscape all around and thus I needed no artificial light source. The only sounds were my breathing and silence being broken by the gentle crushing of tires on fresh snow. With the consistency of the snow on the greenwyas I could maintain about 5-8mph in the corners and full speed on the straights. The one and only time I went down I forgot I was on the road where the snow had been packed down and was beginning to freeze. I mostly laughed at myself when I fell, made sure no one saw I needed to kill and went on my way lost in my two wheeled bliss. My new glove setup allowed my hands not to freeze and I layered perfectly and stayed toasty warm. Saw Joel riding home and that was about it for cyclists. I'll let the pictures do the rest of the talking...

































I met Abby at the Cedar Bluff Panera where I became well aquainted with a warm dinner and then we had some doughnuts in the parking lot for a few minutes. I imagine they will be even better come early morning when the lots are solid sheets of ice.


No comments: