Monday, August 18, 2008

Return and "Bunnymoon" recaps beginning...

Had one of the most amazing times of my life out west on our Honeymoon the past two weeks. Over the next few days I'll recount some highlights....

Day 1/2
My plane was “vectoring” its way from Knoxville to ATL through spotty powerful thunderstorms and bad turbulence. We ended up actually taking a lighting hit as well which dimmed the cabin for a bit and made some people totally freak out. Fortunately I had the ticket agent note on my passenger file that the original reason the flight was late to Knoxville was mechanical, so any accommodations resulting from me being stranded by Delta would be on them. The flight was subsequently delayed further from Knoxville by weather so anyone who asked later was told that only, which I thought was sketchy, but whatever they at least got me to Salt Lake City the first night.Come fly the Angry skies.

They also accommodated me with an open mini bar, king bed and door-to-door service to and from the airport.Delta accommodations in the City of Salt.

By the time I got to Jackson in the morning the following day Abby had already gotten our groceries and we were ready to go, so everything there ended up working out.My first view of the grand via airplane.

Heron Pond.

Not a heron...a sand Hill crane.

Swan Lake.

At the airport I randomly noticed a United States of America plane and was told that Dick Cheney lived just outside of Jackson and we joked that we hoped he wasn’t hunting that day.
Welcome to the Tetons! Colter Bay campground site. Beautiful campground near Jackson lake. On our way into the park we spotted a mother moose and calf in the distance. Did day hike to swan lake and heron pond and relaxed a bit from a hectic travel to Jackson the previous day. Beautiful vistas along the lakeside greeted us and beckoned me to the mtns. I was a bit nervous for the following week with the amount of snow still remaining in the higher elevations. Also saw some noisy sand hill cranes, beavers, and lots of lilies. That evening we lucked out for ranger programs. The program was an astronomy program and we were there for the one Sunday that the local Jackson Hole astronomy brought some high tech telescopes to check out the stars. We saw the Northern Cross, Jupiter and 4 of its moons, and many shooting stars. The following morning we visited Jackson lodge and saw our first Elk and then headed North for Yellowstone country for a week.Our kitchen for the next 2 weeks, on and off the trail.


Our first view of the Grand...we would be returning in a week for a summit attempt.

3 comments:

elizabeth said...

Great pictures, Jeremy! Looks like you two had an amazing time...after you finally arrived.

Dave Holmes said...

I agree, the pictures rock... We want more! Yellowstone maybe? Pretty prismatic pools?

ZaskarLE said...

We did have an amazing adventure...I was sad to leave but it's nice to be back around folks we know. Many more pictures are perhaps coming to a thread near you....