Saturday, June 7, 2008

Bahston...Part 1 "I didn't Blue Myself"

So the trip intent to keep blogging throughout fell through. Every day we were seemingly hurrying to many meetings and accompanying social events, and any free time was spent on my part maximizing our tourist potential for the city. I'll try to cover the most memorable things in a few parts here with some pictures that will attempt to do the whole wonderful experience justice.

After Prochlorococcusfest at MIT, we were turned loose on the city for one day of rest before another few days of hectic lectures meeting, and presentations at ASM. That evening I met Abby and Jen who had gotten us tickets to the Blue Man group, which I was excited to see. As we came in the door I was selected by a member of the cast to go to the back for an interview, where I was given a mild physical, asked if I had health insurance and told just enough to know about what I was doing. I came back to my seat in the crowd wearing some black shoes and excited/nervous I would be part of the show. The show itself was absolutely amazing and the theater was smaller than I imagined, so even our upper balcony seats were good and engaged in the show. As an aside if you're ever in Boston go buy tickets the day of the show at the theater and they are half price. Signs on the way on that told me this was going to be awesome before I was selected said such things as "If you are in the first 5 rows a poncho will be supplied and is highly recommended...Objects and Blue Men will emanate from the stage when you least expect it". The show was 2 hours long and my bit was towards the end before the final act. The Blue men came and got me from the crowd and shuttled me to the stage, where I was dressed in a tyvek suit and a big dark helmet was put on my head. The next thing I knew I was shuttled behind stage, hung by my ankles and swung onto a giant canvas, only after being painted blue. After this I was guided through a series of dark rooms and somehow ended up in a cart with a hole for my head. I was rolled onto stage to find my head was now surrounded by the largest jello mold ever made ad the Blue men proceeded to play music on my jello encased head and then I was revealed to the cheering crowd when the jello mold was ripped open. The canvas I had "painted" for the crowd's enjoyment was placed beside me and a silent victory sign was made by the men and myself and I was shuttled from the stage. Wow it was such a rush and I'm not going to reveal anything else about the show in case some of you are thinking of attending, but I definitely recommend it. The only thing I had to show for the night was some blue paint that was smeared on my face when the blue men touched me on stage. I had two witnesses in the form of Jen and Abby though to back up this wild adventure.


The Blue men left their mark...and it was hard to wash off.
Their eyes really are freaky 4 inches from your face as well.


Harpoon...mmmmm.

The evening was capped by a German Pub where I got a good taste of a local brew called Harpoon and their Heffy is to die for.

3 comments:

Dave Holmes said...

You're not wearing cut-offs are you?

elizabeth said...

How lucky are you!? That would have been so much fun - I'm totally jealous.

How long were you in Boston? Did you have to drive anywhere? I hear driving there is one of the most infuriating things ever.

ZaskarLE said...

E- driving in Boston is a nightmare. If you look at someone wrong they honk. Horns seems to be a common language of the masses and are quite annoying. Other than the sewer like smell in the mornings the city is pretty nice. Was in Boston for almost a week, but was busy with meetings most of it. I would like to go back and visit sometime with a bike and tour a bit of the coast.

It's not quite Colorado, but it's not TN either so it was a welcome change with the hot temps.