Monday, June 16, 2008

OMZ Monday?

Already it's Monday and I've forgotten which day of the week it is. Jeff and I survived a rough section of waves and today began sampling with the first official CTD cast. I'll forgo the narritive right now to catch up on some pictures depending on how fast I can load them.


San Diego the night before departure
F-15 maybe taking off
Coast Guard Chopper
Nuclear sub I think
Can you name this knot?
What does this guy do if he catches 3 at once?
Port water in the deck incubator.
Open ocean water in it today...very clear.
Hundreds of sailboats in the bay as we left.
This is what we'll see all around us for the next few weeks, the ocean is massive.
Annie is a school teacher from SC along for the ride.(background) She's hoping to take some knowledge back to the classroom where she teaches a marine science class. Here she's measuring chlorophyll with Kelly after the morning cast.
If you haven't noticed yet everything must be strapped down in case of rough weather, which we had Saturday night. A 100 lb dewer rolling around full of liquid Nitrogen would be a bad thing.

6 comments:

Dave Holmes said...

I wish I were cool enough to know what "OMZ" means.

Unknown said...

Did you tie those Dewers up yourself?

Blue team go.

ZaskarLE said...

OMZ= Oxygen Minimum Zone...comon D!


Yes I kept finding new extra straps to tie down with so I just decided to keep adding on. They withstood one light storm with big chop so I think they're going to be ok unless the ship turns upside down.

Unknown said...

Hey Jeremy,

This is Laura, Jeff's wife. I'm gonna take a stab at the knot question. Is it a Fisherman's Bend?

1SpeedBrian said...

Out of the hole, around the tree.....

Its a bowline

ZaskarLE said...

Bowline is correct ad that's a rabbit coming out of the hole and around the tree. Close laura..I'll post a few more knots for some people to guess later if I get a chance.