Friday, March 7, 2008

Man Armor Test 3-4-08

Guys like cool shit. My most recent edition to the "CS" category is my new Patagonia Stretch Latitude Jacket. After 10 years of faithful service my old storm jacket started to de-line on the inside so I sent it back to Patagonia with a nice letter and some pictures of places I had been with it. (Deserts in New Mexico at Philmont scout ranch, 14,000 ft peaks in colorado, and the jungles of Costa Rica to name a few) I was pleasantly surprised when they replied with a gift card with enough balance to buy any of their jackets I wanted and they asked to keep the photos in their owner's archive...whatever that is. I chose the stretch latitude because it's a good bare shell layer (no liners so it's not terribly hot in the summer months) with enough durability I can use it heavily through all four seasons. The other day 3-4-08 I just happened to be looking at the radar between experiments in the lab on my lunch break and happened to see this...

Being the Gear Geek I am I ran outside in the pouring rain and lightning and got a good test of new DWR technology in action. There's nothing that sheds water like a new rain jacket. I think I spent about 15 minutes standing in the rain testing the new welded seams and pit zippers, satisfied that my modern day chain mail is going to serve me well to any weather related foe. I'm looking forward to years of service from this baby.

No comments: